Scar House and Angram Reservoirs
Angram and Scar House Reservoirs were built to supply the Bradford area. Drinking water is transferred from the reservoir by means of the Nidd aqueduct. This is a feat of engineering ingenuity that enables the supply to be maintained without the aid of pumping.
Angram Reservoir, at the head of the dale and closest to the source of the river Nidd, was completed in 1919. Scar House, the last reservoir to be built in the valley, followed in 1936 and took fifteen years to complete. Stone for the dam was quarried from two sites which can be seen either side of the dam at Scar House.
During the construction period, a village was built just below the dam to house the workforce. It had hot and cold water, electric lighting and flushing toilets together with shops, a cinema and a concert hall.
Working conditions were harsh and a resident doctor and nurse cared for workers' health in an on-site hospital. The Nidderdale Museum has lots of information about the reservoir and the construction worker's village.
Today's facilities at Scar House include a large car park, public toilets and 3 picnic areas. Yorkshire Water has created two waymarked footpath routes - a high level route around Little Whernside which is suitable for the more active walker and a low level circular route around Scar House, mostly on surfaced roads and tracks.
Gouthwaite Reservoir is home to a nature reserve, which features three viewing points of ornithological interest. For those interested in bird watching you will find many different species at all of the reservoirs.
More information on Nidderdale Reservoirs can be found on theYorkshire Water website.